PURPOSE OF YOUR JOB POSITION
The primary purpose of your job position is to prepare food in accordance with current applicablefederal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations, our established policies andprocedures, and as may be directed by the Food Service Manager, to assure that quality foodservice is provided.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Listed below is an outline of the duties and responsibilities that you will be required to perform. As the COOK, you are delegated the authority, responsibility, and accountability that quality food service is provided.
Even though your job description is broad, every effort has been made to make this outline as complete as possible. HOWEVER, we must emphasize that you may be required to perform other related duties and activities.
- Prepare food in accordance with sanitary regulations, as well as our established policies and procedures determining quantity needed
- Review menus prior to preparation of food, determining quantity needed
- Develop and maintain a good working rapport with inter-department personnel, as well as other departments within the facility to assure that food service can be properly maintained to meet the needs of the residents
- Assure that safety regulations are followed by personnel
- Prepare meals in accordance with planned menus, standardized recipes, & therapeutic restrictions
- Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance and in accordance with established portion control on a timely basis
- Participate and assist in departmental studies and projects as assigned or that may become necessary
- Maintain CONFIDENTIALITY of pertinent resident care information to assure resident rights are protected
- Coordinate dietary service with other departments as necessary
- Cleans and maintains equipment
- Work with the facility’s dietitian as necessary & implement recommended changes as required
- Assure that established Infection Control policies and procedures are followed by department personnel as required
- Assure that food and supplies for the next meal are readily available
- Make only authorized substitutions
- Assist in inventorying, rotating, and storing incoming food, supplies, etc. as necessary
- Assist in daily or scheduled cleaning duties, in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Assure that dietary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies
- Attend and participate in workshops, seminars, etc. as directed
- Recommend to the Food Service Manager the equipment and supply needs of the department
- Assure that the department is maintained in a clean and safe manner by assuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained to perform such duties/services
- Assume the authority, responsibility, and accountability of Cook
- Report hazardous conditions/equipment to the Food Service Manager
- Report accidents/incidents/illnesses as established by department policies
- Maintain food storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner
- Covers, labels, and dates leftovers, storing properly. Also assumes responsibility of utilizing leftovers for dislikes
- Assure that menus and recipes are maintained and filed in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Assist in establishing food service production line, etc. to assure that meals are prepared on time
- Assist in food preparation for special meals for parties, etc.
- Other duties as deemed necessary and appropriate, or as may be directed by the Administrator
- Works in well-lighted/ventilated areas
- Sitting, standing, bending, lifting, and moving intermittently during working hours. Work is of medium to heavy demand, walking and standing most of time on duty
- Subject to frequent interruptions
- Involved with residents, family members, personnel, visitors, government agencies/personnel, etc. under all conditions/circumstances
- Subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, etc.
- Communicates with nursing personnel and other department supervisors
- Willingness to work beyond normal working hours & in other positions temporarily as necessary
- Attend and participate in continuing educational programs
- Subject to falls, cuts, burns from equipment, hot foods, infectious diseases, odors, etc. throughout the work day
- May be exposed to heat/cold temperatures in kitchen area
- This facility will make reasonable accommodations that will permit an employee to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Tower Rehabilitation & Nursing Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Tower Rehabilitation & Nursing Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Tower Rehabilitation & Nursing Center expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Tower Rehabilitation & Nursing Center’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.